Arrogance has many friends. When a teenager grows in arrogance, it ushers in many frustrations and fears for the parent. In this episode I talk about how a parent can respond to this situation. Here is a summary:
- Pride is a natural part of the human condition that we all share in common. Pride always offers us a false answer to our problems. The more arrogant a person is, the more deeply they are hiding their real insecurities.
- Sports can cause our kids to grow into a false identity.
Here are three things that you can do:
- Let them face adversity. Their arrogance will put them into adversity of their own doing. Let them face it! The impulse will be to swoop in and be their hero. We might think that our relationship will get better if we save them from their trouble. We do want to care, support and guide. But we do certainly do not want to take away a great character builder.
- Live your best life! When we focus on the problem that our child has we lose site of our greatest influence that we have. Our greatest impact is in living our best life. They may not want to listen to us very much, but they see, and our life can speak great things to them. The key to living our best life is to face our one junk!
- Humility is the best medicine for pride. Humility is not something that you study in order to embrace. Humility comes through experiences. Humility is cultivated by things that we actually see with our eyes and touch with our hands. (Catch the episode to hear what some families have done.)
Support the show (https://donorbox.org/family-paradigms-donations)